There are some tips that can be applied to travel anywhere in the world but others that specifically work well in Europe and for women. My first tip before taking a trip is always to research as much as humanly possible and the information below is a great way to start. Read on and get ready!
Why I Love Solo Travel
I remember on my first trip being terrified out of mind. I began the adventure with one of my best friends. We had a blast that first week together and I couldn’t stop crying when it was time for her to leave. I thought for sure I’d never survive on my own. I was so wrong.
After she was gone, I learned that I am much more capable than I realized. I could find my way around new cities and learn new public transportation systems without getting lost, I could make new friends easily and best of all I could do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted.
It didn’t matter if I felt like sitting in a park, exploring a museum, going out to eat or staying in to cook, party all night or stay in to read. I could do whatever I felt and usually was able to find someone to join me on any adventure if I decided I wanted a buddy. That kind of freedom is quite amazing. I thought for sure I would feel lonely and it turned out quite the opposite; I often couldn’t get enough alone time!
One of the more noticeable parts was that I realized I was taking everything in more when I was alone. If you’re with someone it’s easy to get caught up in each other and your conversation. When you’re alone all of your senses are focused on taking in every detail of a new city, it’s pretty beautiful.
Things to Keep in Mind…
- Go Slow: It’s easy to try and pack in a bunch of cities and activities quickly. This will only lead to burnout and not enjoying things to their full potential. Pace yourself.
- Plan Ahead: Sometimes showing up in a city without a hostel reservation works out fine, other times it doesn’t. It’s best to book ahead to keep yourself out of a bad situation.
- Forget the Selfie Stick: These are becoming ever so popular especially in Europe, don’t do it! It’s so much better to ask someone else to take your photo as this often leads to a nice conversation at the very least and possibly even a new friend!
- Find a Buddy at Night: Europe has huge cities and huge cities anywhere can get less safe at night. If you want to go out, stick with a friend.
- Avoiding Getting Hit On: People will try to hit on you anywhere in the world but many places in Europe are especially open about this. Wearing a wedding ring can deter people as can sunglasses so that you don’t make accidental eye contact with someone you’re not interested in.
Traveling with friends can be a great experience but solo travel can also be great if not better. The only difference is when you’re alone you have to look out for yourself more. If you can do that, you’ll be great!